Herman Miller is a go-to for anyone looking for premium office chairs. Just about every furniture business with an ergonomic model in mind will most likely refer to them as a brand of choice. But which should you choose?
Herman Miller office chairs are very popular due to their high quality, functional designs with deep roots in the history of ergonomic seating.
Their office chairs are carefully designed with ergonomics and comfort in mind. They range from standard office chairs to high-end models built for longevity and style. When it comes to the best Herman Miller chairs, it’s important to choose the right one for you.
When looking at Herman Miller office chairs, there are a number of questions you may want to ask yourself. What’s the purpose of the chair you’re purchasing? What will you be using it for? How much space do you have and what kind of design are you trying to go for? These are all important questions to consider before making such a large investment.
After reading this article you should technically know which Herman Miller chair to buy.
Best Herman Miller Chair Selection for 2023 – The Complete Guidebook
Here are the details of the Herman Miller chairs that I want to introduce.
1. Herman Miller Big & Tall Chairs: If you’re looking for a Herman Miller chair that offers exceptional comfort to larger and taller users, the Aeron Chair is worth a look. It’s one of the best-selling models made by the brand but some might not know its specific benefits for people who are larger.
2. The Herman Miller Aeron is an office chair that offers a number of ergonomic features and adjustments to ensure your comfort while you work. What I like about this seat is the mesh design, which encourages airflow around the surface of the skin, reducing heat retention. Combine that with their patented LiveBack technology which supports the natural curvature of your spine when sitting upright, and you have a winning office chair.
3. The Embody Chair is another premium model made by Herman Miller. As a high-end ergonomic chair, it’s not intended for users who are larger but instead of purpose towards users that are thinner and taller.
4. Just about every aspect of the Embody has been designed to provide great lumbar support, including the cushioned seat and back. It’s made from a breathable mesh that helps promote airflow, keeping you cool for the duration of your workday.
5. As an added benefit, some Embody models come with the option to add a headrest which can be purchased separately. Big and tall users shouldn’t buy this chair though simply because it won’t provide enough lumbar support.
6. The Steelcase Leap is another impressive Herman Miller office chair that would work well for big and tall users. This chair was designed to provide great lumbar support and promote proper posture, making it comfortable for larger users.
7. It also comes with a mesh back to promote breathability as you sit. The Leap doesn’t come with the option for a headrest, however, and since it’s not as adjustable as something like the Embody, it may be more difficult to find an ideal position.
8. Herman Miller Task Chairs: For most people looking for a Herman Miller chair that would be used in the office setting (as opposed to just at home), you should turn your attention to the Aeron Chair. The model is often used in offices and comes with great features like a breathable mesh back and an ergonomic design. You’ll be able to find this chair in various colors too, making it a good fit for most office settings.
Criteria for Evaluating Herman Miller Chairs
When evaluating Herman Miller chairs, there are several key criteria that should be considered to ensure the best possible selection for your needs.
Ergonomics: The chair should be designed to support the body in a comfortable and natural position, reducing strain on the back, neck, and shoulders. It should also be adjustable to fit different body types and postures.
Longevity: The chair should be constructed from durable materials that can withstand regular use and maintain their functionality for an extended period.
Design: The chair should be visually pleasing and suit the aesthetic of the space it will be used in. It should also be versatile and suitable for different environments and settings.
Adjustability: The chair should be adjustable to fit different body types and postures, allowing for a comfortable and customized seating experience.
Comfort: The chair should be comfortable to sit in for prolonged periods of time and should have features such as cushions, lumbar support and armrests.
Brand reputation: The brand’s reputation and track record should also be taken into consideration when evaluating Herman Miller chairs.
How to Choose the Best Herman Miller Chair – Buying Guide
Here are important points to consider before buying the Herman miler chair:
Fabric or Leather
The first thing to consider when buying a Herman Miller chair is the fabric. There are several different kinds of upholstery materials and each has its own benefits and drawbacks. Two of the most popular options that will find use in an office environment are fabric and leather, but which one is best?
As far as durability goes, leather is still considered the better option. The fabric used on most Herman Miller chairs can be stained or ripped relatively easily if you aren’t careful about how you handle it. On the other hand, leather has a longer lifespan and also doesn’t absorb sweat as the fabric does. However, leather is also more expensive than fabric, and while most Herman Miller chairs are priced closely together regardless of upholstery material, the cost difference can be over $200 for some models.
Another consideration that should come into play when choosing a Herman Miller chair is the composition of the seat surface. Most chairs will have an ergonomic design and come with a mesh backing. These can both be made from various combinations of materials, and the composition is important to consider when making your purchase.
A combination of mesh and foam may provide the most comfort in terms of cushioning material. However, if you’ll be using your Herman Miller chair for long hours on end and you’re heavier, then consider a design that comes with an upholstered seat. Memory foam is a premium cushioning material that is very comfortable when compared to mesh or simple foam padding.
Seat Height Range
The height range of your Herman Miller chair will be another key factor to consider before making your purchase. Most ergonomic chairs will offer several height adjustment levels, but the range can vary from chair to chair. For example, while one Herman Miller chair may have a seat height range of 17” – 22” (similar to the Embody), another model in the same line may only go as high as 18 ½ inches.
Similar to the height range, each Herman Miller chair is designed with a different seat tilt. Some options will only allow you to rock or recline, while others provide additional adjustments. Advanced designs like the Mirra and Embody have adjustable backrests that can be locked in at just about any angle between 90° and 180°. They also have a tension control that allows you to lock the chair in place when reclining while still allowing you to lean back without issue.
The good news is that when it comes to advanced features, Herman Miller offers them on most of their office chairs, regardless of price point. If you want an adjustable seat height range and tilt but don’t want to spend an arm and a leg, look for chairs like the Sayl, Mirra, or Aeron. If you can afford to make a larger investment, then consider stepping up to either the Embody (if you need adjustable seat height) or the Mirra (for seat tilt).
The price of any Herman Miller chair is going to be one of your biggest factors. Many of the models available can be decently affordable compared to other ergonomic office options on the market but there are some exceptions.
In general, you’ll find that most basic designs from Herman Miller tend to fall within a similar price range. You can expect to pay around $500 for the Sayl, Mirra, and Aeron chairs. Chairs like the Ergon and Valif are more expensive ($700+) but may be worthwhile if you need a chair with additional adjustments or features.
Features and Adjustments
If you know that you’ll be spending a lot of time sitting in your Herman Miller chair, then consider investing in one with additional features. If price isn’t an issue, then we highly recommend any of the chairs from the Mirra line (Mirra and Mirra 2). They come with several advanced adjustments and features that will make your time sitting in the chair more comfortable and enjoyable.
Regardless of price, you’ll find plenty of advanced options on most Herman Miller chairs. From seat depth adjustment with the Embody to infinite position lock with the Mirra, there are loads of ways to customize your setup.
If you’re looking for a great dual-purpose chair that offers a high degree of comfort, the Embody Chair is your best bet. It comes with features like adjustable armrests and a headrest that can be purchased separately, making it suitable for users with different needs.
With the Embody Chair, you’ll get a great ergonomic design that comes with breathable mesh and impressive lumbar support for your back. If you’re looking to work on paperwork or use a laptop while sitting down, this chair will be able to accommodate you.
Read More: How Strict Are Weight Limits On Chairs