The chair with wood slats is a popular classic. These chairs look beautiful in their natural state but after sitting on them for any length of time, the chair slats themselves and can rub against your back to become uncomfortable.
Make the chair more comfortable by adding some padding underneath or cover the back of it with cushions to soften slat edges and provide additional comfort.
A chair for your backyard, patio, or deck is a great place to relax and enjoy the warm weather. However, if you don’t have a cushioned chair pad of some sort, the hardwood slats can be uncomfortable to lean against. A premade pad is convenient and costs just a few bucks, but you can also make your own with an inexpensive piece of foam.
This article explains how to make wooden chairs comfortable and stylish which may help you.
How To Make a Wooden Chair Comfortable – Complete Guide
Here is a complete guide on how to make a wooden chair more comfortable:
1. Slatless Chair
If you want to make your chair more comfortable, consider making it without slats. This process involves gluing the boards together and requires a bit of carpentry know-how, but when done right, results in an extra cozy chair that won’t cause discomfort after long periods of sitting.
2. Padded Chair
Consider buying a premade chair pad that attaches to the chair with Velcro. If that’s not your style, you can add cushions to the back of the chair with ties that attach to the legs of the seat for an easy fit.
3. Covered Chair Slats
Covering your wooden chair slats will help make them more comfortable while still maintaining an air of rustic style. With this method, you’ll need to use a drill to make tiny holes in the wood where the slats meet.
4. Wooden Chair Arm Covers
If you plan on spending long hours sitting in your chair with arms, consider making wooden arm covers for your chairs that make them more comfortable. Arm pads with pillows and arm covers that go all the way up the arm can be purchased online or sewn from a pattern you create yourself.
5. Cushion Seat
If you’re making a new chair, consider using an existing cane bottom chair for inspiration and simply reupholstering it to make it more comfortable. The cushions can be tied to the bottom of the chair and placed in between slats to make them less noticeable.
6. Chair Seat Cushions
If you’re working with an existing chair that’s already comfortable, but just not as cozy as it could be, consider adding a cushion to the top of the slats or between them for more comfort and style.
7. Wood Slat Pads
If you want something easy to make and wash, consider purchasing foam and cutting it to fit between the slats of your wooden chair. Staple the pad in place for a quick fix that’s easy to remove, but doesn’t cost much money or time.
8. Chair Seat Foam Replacement
If you have an old, stained, or damaged cushion for chairs that you want to reuse and make more comfortable, consider replacing the foam with higher density foam that won’t lose its shape as quickly as the old stuff did.
9. Foam Chair Covers
This method involves purchasing foam with an adhesive backing that sticks right to the slats of your chair for a quick fix and comfortable sitting.
Read More: How to Upholster the Back of a Wooden Dining Chair
Why Is It Important to Have a Comfortable Wooden Chair?
First, let’s go over why comfort is important. Comfort in your home is vital to living an easier life. If you feel like you can relax and unwind while sitting in your wooden chair then it will positively affect how you feel about the rest of your day. Moreover, an uncomfortable wooden chair gives you major pain and aches. So you must have comfortable wooden chairs in life.
1. Wooden Chairs are an important part of any outdoor set-up, so having one that is comfortable and welcoming is a must if you want your space to be inviting to guests.
2. If the wooden chair you choose for your space is uncomfortable, it makes sense that you won’t want to spend much time in it, which means it will sit empty and unused. For this reason, it’s important to evaluate the comfort level of each wooden chair before purchasing them for your space.
3. Many of us enjoy spending time reading a book or watching the outdoors when we are outside, but if we have an uncomfortable chair that doesn’t support our bodies properly, we won’t want to spend much time in it.
4. Consider how often you plan on using your wooden chairs before purchasing them. If you only use them a couple of times throughout the entire summer, go ahead and buy cheap, uncomfortable chairs that will need replacing every year or two.
5. On the other hand, if you plan on using your wooden chairs every day throughout the warm summer months, invest in comfortable wooden chairs that will last through multiple summers and can be easily reupholstered when they become dirty or worn out.
6. If you frequently entertain guests at your backyard set-up during the warmer months, it’s especially important to invest in comfortable wooden chairs that will be inviting, instead of uncomfortable ones that limit conversation and keep your friends inside.
7. Even if you don’t plan on using your wooden chair for long periods of time, it still makes sense to purchase a more comfortable one rather than taking a chance on the less comfortable version.
8. If you can, try sitting on a potential chair purchase for a few minutes to see how well it supports your lower back and legs before purchasing it. Can you feel the slats through the cushion? If so, there’s more than likely space between them that will become uncomfortable after sitting in it for long periods of time.
9. You also want to consider how high off the ground is the chair you plan on buying. If it’s too high, your legs will dangle and feel uncomfortable after a period of time, so purchase one that is easy for you to get in and out of without feeling strangled by its side or backrests.
10. If you’re looking for something to relax and recline in, chairs with adjustable headrests and footrests are ideal because they can be adjusted based on your comfort level.
The conclusion is that Wooden Chairs can be comfortable when you use the right materials. You should research your ideal chair and do some recon before purchasing. You should also measure your current chairs to see what size cushions are needed to make them more comfortable. And finally, make sure that your chairs are in good condition. Also, replace the material if it’s worn out before you purchase a cushion for it. This will ensure that you make your Chair as Comfortable as Possible.
How To Turn Wood Chairs Into Upholstered Chairs?
How Strict Are Weight Limits On Chairs